Employee satisfaction survey is an important topic for the HR department of any organization as HR core activity is directly linked with it. Where employee satisfaction is not up to the level, organization may not get the desired result from their employees. Employee satisfaction is the core area of employee engagement. Many people use these two terms in an interchangeable way. Because it’s too difficult to find out the differences between employee satisfaction and employee engagement.
Meaning of Employee Satisfaction
Employee satisfaction means how satisfied the employees with their job. This is also referred as job satisfaction. This can be measured using job satisfaction survey. Result may vary from employee to employee, as satisfaction level of each employee will not be the same. Satisfied employees perform the minimum to keep their job safe. They are not fully engaged with their job for organizational development. Employee satisfaction questionnaire basically enables organizations to identify employee satisfaction level.
Meaning of Employee Engagement
Employee engagement represents the level of employee’s enthusiasm and connection with their job and the organization. Engaged employees are fully satisfied employees and they are committed & ready to provide full effort for the organization. Engaged employees take challenge to be successful in their work.
Importance of Employee Satisfaction
For every organization, employee satisfaction is very important as it is directly linked with the production capacity or employee output or employee motivation. Employee satisfaction and customer satisfaction is corelated. Because only satisfied employees are able to provide best customer support and increase customer satisfaction.
- Increased Productivity: Satisfied employees are productive than the dissatisfied employees. Organizations gets maximum output through providing job satisfaction. To measure the employee satisfaction level, organization can conduct job satisfaction survey. Based on survey result, organization can take measures to increase employee’s satisfaction level.
- Increased Loyalty Level: Employee’s loyalty level automatically increased when their level of satisfaction is increased. This is the thing that enables employee to work from heart for the company. It ensures happiness of employee and leads to better productivity.
- Increased Employee Retention: Satisfied employees are loyal to their work and they generally not try to change their organization. As a result, company gets more effective output which enables organization to sustain their business.
Major Factors for Employee’s Satisfaction
- Job Security: Job security helps to grow employee satisfaction level. Here employee feels secured and they work dedicatedly for the organization.
- Work Environment: Pleasant, comfortable and stress-free work environment enables employees to be satisfied with their job. Work-Life balance is such a factor in work environment that motivates employees to be more loyal.
- Work flexibility: Employees are satisfied where works are distributed in a proper way and this is flexible for them to complete.
- Career Advancement: Employees always try to get the opportunity of career advancement. This facility enables them to take more responsibility.
- Compensation Package: Where employees enjoy better compensation package, it leads them for better engagement and output.
Major Factors for Employee’s Dissatisfaction
Organizations need to conduct employee satisfaction measurement in a regular interval. This will help organization to find out major factors responsible for employee dissatisfaction. employee satisfaction is a common performance measure and need to take initiative to increase employee satisfaction index. Major employee’s dissatisfaction factors are as below:
- Job Insecurity
- Work Pressure
- Worst Compensation Packages
- No opportunity of career advancement
- Unprofessional Behavior of Supervisor
- Dishonest Colleagues
- Office Politics
- Unclear mission, vision and goals of the company etc.
How to Measure Employee Satisfaction?
Employee satisfaction level can be measured through measuring key performance indicators selected for evaluating their job. Besides, it can be measure through employee satisfaction survey which is a popular method since 1990s.
The characteristic of the employee satisfaction survey should be:
- Using simple and clear questionnaire,
- Consistent over the year for data consistency,
- Short questionnaire,
- Objectives should be pre-defined.
- Anonymous in nature to get best response.
Employee Satisfaction Index (ESI)
These are the three basic questions to calculate Employee Satisfaction Index (ESI):
- How satisfied are you in your current workplace?
- How well is your current workplace safe and comfortable?
- How much your organization encourages teamwork?
Employees have to answer the questions on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is the lowest/worst rating and 10 is the highest/best rating.
ESI-value can be for above 3 questions can be calculated according to bellow formula:
ESI= (Score from the Questions ÷ 3) *100
The ESI result may vary from 0-100 where a higher number indicates more satisfied employees and lower value indicates employee’s dissatisfaction level.
ESI Calculation Formula
Employee Satisfaction Index (%) = (Total achieved points or score ÷ Total questions) x 100
Employee Satisfaction Survey Questions
Organizations use different kinds of employee satisfaction and customer satisfaction survey questionnaire. You can download Employee Satisfaction survey questions pdf or excel template for easy understanding and do it accordingly. Employee satisfaction survey form can be different based on the characteristic’s of the organization or process differentiations.
Major concern area of employee satisfaction survey questions is as below:
- General Feedback
- Purpose and Direction
- Workplace and Resources
- Growth Opportunity & Work-Life Balance
- Respect for Employees
- Fairness & Respect for Employees
Employee satisfaction measurement is not a easy task for any organization, but it should be conducted periodically. Employee satisfaction survey answers are putted into a table and calculated accordingly. Sample of employee satisfaction questionnaire or employee satisfaction survey form is attached below for your download, easy understanding and implementation.
Employee Engagement Practices at Google
Employee satisfaction is the heart of any employee engagement program. Google generally focuses on the below for employee satisfaction and ensuring their employee engagement:
- Google Inspired Employees
- Google Promotes Diversity
- Google Support Flexibility at Work
- Google Responds Quickly to Employee Feedback
- Google Encourages Development
- Google Creates Culture of Empathy
- Google Offers Unique Benefits.