Employee motivation is treated as the driving force for employee’s commitment and creativity that enables employees to deliver their best for achieving ultimate company goals. Motivated employees are productive and the best employee motivation leads to better employee engagement and higher productivity. Motivated employees always try to do a job in a better way. Employee motivation plays a very important role in attracting employees, retaining employees, and higher levels of productivity in a business.
Types of Employee Motivation
Motivated employees are the assets of any organization and are directly proportional to the organization’s success and growth. Motivation is mainly intangible and extremely difficult to measure. There are two types of employee motivation methods as below:
- Intrinsic Motivation: Intrinsic motivation means that a person is motivated from within. He has the desire to perform better at the workplace which is related to his belief system.
- Extrinsic Motivation: Extrinsic motivation means that an individual’s motivation is stimulated by external factors like rewards and recognition. Some people are never motivated internally and external motivation is required for them to get the tasks done.
15 Strategies for Employee Motivation
Employee motivation strategies are not constant for every organization. It’s changed over time and from organization to organization. Here are some employee motivation strategies for increasing the motivation levels of the employees.
- Recognition for Achievements: Naturally peoples feel obliged when their efforts are appreciated and recognized. If a company starts this practice of recognition then employees will be highly motivated and they will do extraordinary work for achieving organizational goals. Organizations can initiate this practice without any cost or fewer costs. But if not practice then employees will feel demotivated that persists to unhappiness and many more. Organizations can recognize employees through official meetings, emails, official circulars, etc.
- Selection of Right Leaders: In the case of employee motivation, good leaders can create good results. They are capable to create high motivation towards employees and engage them for achieving ultimate goals. Bad leaders are always treated as demotivating factors.
- Ensure Healthy Workplace: Healthy workplace ensures motivation for the employees as they will feel secure, valued, and honored. This will help to build good relationships with other employees also.
- Empower Your Employees: Give your employees more freedom to make decisions independently. Employee empowerment is too critical to improving employee motivation.
- Be a Visionary: Lead with a specified vision. This will enable employees to know that their efforts are driving something significant. If they are clear regarding the vision and also know their destination and pathway for the achievement, then employees will get inspired to complete tasks on time.
- Career-pathing: Having a career growth strategy with visibly mentioned roles and responsibilities is crucial to most employees. Sit with the employees to make a transparent career plan. It will help to be goal-focused to achieve everything.
- Provide Learning Opportunity: Motivated peoples are always ready to learn from working. For employee motivation, you need to provide learning opportunities in the workplace that will be helpful for their career growth.
- Set Realistic Engagement Goals: During the setting of goals, leaders should keep in mind that those must be SMART. Only SMART goals are achievable and lead employees to be more motivated. If goal setting is unrealistic, employees will be fully demotivated and achievement will be hampered.
- Assign Accountability: After defining SMART goals, leaders should be held accountable for achievement. Employee motivation will increase the accountability for the achievement. Assigning accountability will act as a motivational factor for the employees.
- Offer Flexible Schedule: Considering the advancement of technology, some great companies allow their employees to work from home. This is tremendously increasing the motivation levels of their employees. Where employee motivation is the main fact, the company should take innovative action as well for the work done on time by the employees. On the other hand, if the company pus more through tight office schedule, some talents will move fast from the company.
- Ensure Work-Life Balance: Work-life balancing is a crucial thing every employer should ensure for their employees. Take care of your employees’ quality of life and also work-life balance. Take care of your best-performers so that others also be motivated by seeing it!
- Give them Room to Grow: During the rapid business expansion, giving employees room to grow within the company will act as an enormous motivator. By getting growth opportunities, employees will think of their present job as a full-fledged career.
- Increase the Level of Connectivity: Try to connect with your employee’s personal and professional life. Help them to solve personal problems also. Good leaders generally do this to motivate their people.
- Offer food in the workplace: Sudden offering of snacks may act as a motivator for the employees. Management can arrange it within the factory or outside the factory.
- Be Transparent: If you show transparency in your business operation, it will enable employees to feel better that they are part of the business. Besides, employees can get the opportunity to give their feedback for the improvement of the business.
Benefits of High Employee Motivation
Generally, motivated employees are always treated as the resources for any organization. Because Motivated employees are ready to contribute a lot comparing to unmotivated employees. The benefits of high employee motivation can be summarized as below:
- Reduced Rate of Absenteeism: Absenteeism rates are tremendously reduced for motivated employees as they are more likely to be willing to work, rather than taking days off. Ultimately production rate is increased.
- Increased Rate of Retention: Law employee turnover or higher retention rate helps to get different benefits such as less recruitment cost, less training cost, increased productivity, etc.
- Improved Work Performance: The work performance of the motivated employees will be increased and the company will get benefits in terms of productivity. Motivated employees are more engaged in their work.
- Improved Quality Work: Motivated employees are capable to provide quality jobs that are defect-free and ultimately generate revenue for the company. More motivation increases the engagement and productivity of the employees.
- Handle Uncertainty in a Better Way: Motivated employees handle all kinds of job-related uncertainty in a better way, as they are more confident and engaged with the goals of the company. Motivated employees differently manage difficult situations.
- Better Problem-Solving Capacity: Motivated employees are assets for the company as they have a better problem-solving capacity. Motivated employees work hard to solve problems.
- Increased Innovative Ideas: Employee motivation enables organizations to generate innovative ideas for optimum business performance.
- Increased Rate of Goal Achievement: Employee motivation enables an organization to achieve goals, even for the individual level of the employees. Motivated employees can easily understand their level of contribution to overall company progress and also can take proactive measures.
- Better Team Work: The employee motivation process enables employees to do better teamwork thus helps to achieve company goals. Motivated employees are good team players.
- Establishment of Healthier Practices: The employee motivation process increases the engagement of employees; thus, they contribute higher and work for a sustainable practice.
Measuring Employee Motivation
Though it’s a hard job to measure the motivation levels of the employees, below 3 methods are mostly used by the companies:
- Employee Motivation Survey: The most popular way of measuring employee motivation level is the conduction of motivation and engagement survey by using a specific questionnaire. Employers should take careful measures for choosing survey questions.
- Performance Review: The performance review process can help to be motivated. It’s a very sensitive process and necessary precautions should be taken for it. Otherwise, there will raise a chance to demotivate the employees.
- Customer Satisfaction Surveys: Customer satisfaction habitually depends on how satisfied employees are. Satisfied employees are much more motivated and can satisfy customers through the best services.